Friday, January 11, 2013

Mommy Intuition

When you become a parent, you develop a special type of intuition when it comes to your children. You hate when they are sick, and you do everything you can to make sure they get better as soon as possible. You always hear people say they wish they could take their child's place because they'd rather it's them that is sick and not their child. You snuggle them, give them juice, let them watch a lot of movies, and of course, you medicate them. ;)When you become a parent, your instincts, your gut feelings, become extremely strong. You just “know” when something isn't right with your child. Ever since my baby boy, (I'll refer to him on my blog as "Buddy"), was born, he has had an excessive amount of phlegm. He would "spit up" at all times of the day, and in massive amounts. After asking a few doctors about it, I kept getting the response, “He’s gaining weight, he’s fine” or "Babies spit up". Oh really?! ...I'd go on to tell them that I've had 2 other babies, who both spit up (one projectile spit up), but that Buddy's' "spitting up" was different. It was actual vomit, and was causing him pain. I got sent on my way by one doctor, with him adding, "That's what babies do". Obviously, that did nothing but fuel my fire. When Buddy turned 2 months, he had some things of concern happen. I called his doctor and got him in immediately, to which some tests were ran, and everything came back “fine”. Over the past 2.5 months, we've switched his formula more than a handful of times and had him allergy tested (no food allergies). He’s had multiple X-rays and Ultrasounds, and again, everything was “fine”. A few weeks ago, his doctor called me and said they found something wrong with his intestines. His doctor told me that Buddy's X-rays showed that he has a Birth Defect called Malrotation. Basically, the intestines don’t turn and attach in the normal way, causing them to be “loose” and able to twist around themselves. I had never heard of this, but apparently 1 in 500 kids are born with it (quite common). Some people live their whole lives with it and never know it, while others die from complications caused by it.The key is to find it and treat it early on. Thankfully, we found it. Which brings me to the past week of our lives. He had surgery on January 7th to fix/move his intestines and remove his appendix (part of fixing Malrotation). Turns out 1 in every 50 surgeries to fix Malrotation, the surgeon goes in, and finds that what they saw on the X-rays, doesn't exist. Thanking the Lord that Buddy turned out to be that 1 in 50. Doesn't make sense at all to me, but I'm thankful my Buddy's surgery turned out to be much less invasive than originally planned. Unfortunately this also means nothing was fixed and he will still be feeling as crappy as before. Confused... but considering this a miracle. :) Now I'll let you enjoy some pictures from my little man's 1st hospital experience... he's such a champ!


The girls and little man before his surgery... giving him lots of extra kisses!

He wasn't so sure about his new hospital outfit... orrrrr the hospital itself.

Buddy's bed after his surgery.

Such a champ! After surgery he was all smiles... annnd flirting with all the nurses! ;)

Poor little man had a rough first night... this was the only way he would sleep. :(

Seriously... that face. :) 

"Mommy, can we go home now?!" Feeling much better Day 2! 

It's been a long journey of mysteries that still have yet to be solved... but Mama is gonna keep pushing for answers. As of now they're saying it may be a really severe case of Acid Reflux... but we're being referred to another doctor. So, we will see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment